Start a new topic
Answered

Vi DAC Chatter

Hi everyone, this is the first thread for the Vi DAC. Please post thoughts, comments, questions, screenshots, etc. in here. We will be attending to these forums now instead of the IGG pages due to ease of use for both LHL and backers. 

Same rules as before: professional-esque discussion over the campaign and LHL is welcome. Personal attacks will not be tolerated and will be deleted. Profanity: try to keep it PG, please. 

There is no "quote" function on the forum but I am working with Freshdesk support to see if there is a workaround. But this will be infinitely better than the old system at IGG where there was no ability to edit posts, a character count, no way to post screens, etc. 

We look forward to hearing from you around the forums! 

- Jarek

Best Answer

I posted this 2 months ago but it apparently didn't go through so I am posting again...

I think that is going to be hard to do Robert. Consider the following taken directly off Indiegogo:

Funds collected

Campaign                         Backers               when campaign closed                 % Funded

Geek Wave:                     ~9600                  $1,665,254                                     3478% on July 13, 2014

Geek Wave #2:                ~800                    $190,000                                         148% of $128,000

Geek Pulse DAC:             ~13,400              $3,001,353                                     3089% on Dec 28, 2013

Geek Pulse #2:                 ~550                    $103,527                                         20705% of $500 fixed goal

Pulse Analog:                   ~260                    $93,966                                           1649% on Oct 1, 2015

Vi DAC:                              ~1150                  $283,406                                        2852% on March 16, 2015

Total Reported funds contributed: $5,629,225

These numbers may not reflect all of the perks, direct invoices, etc. which may have taken place after the campaigns closed. Even with overlap, that’s 20,000+ backers from all over the world. I have a hard time believing that ~20k backers contributing ~5.6M are going to let all this just go. 

I agree with you about these products becoming “legacy”. I am fortunate in that I have the ability to move on (and I have, substituting new products which I have purchased to take the place of these “potential products” which may or may not ever show up). But while you and I may be able to tap out and take the loss as a poor investment opportunity, hard to imagine that many others will feel the same…again, nor should they.

I think if the communication were better and consisted of something other than teases like the September 5, 2018 update (noted above by John Siegel):

“We have the new Vi chassis design ready…we will post the photo of the new chassis once we receive it. It should be in three weeks.”

Promise unkept. Rather than update again on Sept 26 letting people know what’s happening, nothing happens.

In the last year regarding just Vi DAC, there have been 7 updates, and many updates address the chassis or Mr. Ho’s world travels. All tease, no meat, irregularly irregular positive reinforcement (the most addictive kind, just like gambling). When you click on the campaign Facebook links for Mr. Ho, you get https://www.facebook.com/app_scoped_user_id/660315531/ which no longer exists. Same for https://www.facebook.com/app_scoped_user_id/110875392609110/ . There is a twitter (https://twitter.com/geekbylhlabs) who’s last meaningful post was from Feb of 2017. Talk about a ruined reputation. 

(note: extra part deleted for encouragement of harassment towards journalists and LHL employees and associates)

(second note: second deletion. discussion of legal action towards LHL is not permitted on this site)

I thought the new case design was worked out months ago? I do not mind how the products will look like. I am only concerned about getting them the fastest way possible.

2 people like this

Customer Service
said 3 months ago

We expect the new chassis prototype completely done by the first week of June. I am going to post pictures when/if I get them so everyone can see what we have.

so are we looking at the same chassis that was supposed to be done in June or is this another prototype?
what is the status of the PCB,s and other parts to assemble the VI's.

And while they are waiting again for another prototype chassis, can they build the Pulses and Sources that are suppose to have parts?

1 person likes this

Why have I had no communication for 18 months regarding the viDAC infinity I paid for in 2015? You even charged me for shipping 18 months ago. Since then, nothing. Give me my product, or give me my money back!!!

So magically, there is this update via link on indiegogo.  not sure why it wasn't posted in this forum:

Vi DAC 9/5/18

Modified on: Wed, 5 Sep, 2018 at 2:49 AM

Hey everyone, 

We have two factories right now supplying Vi DAC chassis units. The original is sending out 10 more original designed version of chassis. (Hopefully the fail rate will be low)

We have the new Vi chassis design ready, and we are letting the new factory make those units. We will post the photo of the new chassis once we receive it. It should be in three weeks. If no problems are present, then we will start the full speed production of the new version of the chassis. We will also confirm the remaining Vi DAC backers' shipping addresses again. 

As mentioned, we are using two factories now. The new one is the one which has tons of good experience with other hi-end gear. The original Vi DAC chassis factory will just deliver the remaining order and we will put them in idle unless we will need to make more original Vi Chassis.

Again, thank you for your patience in this campaign. 

The entire LHL team. 

so in a month, did we get any chassis ?

I just returned from the Rocky Mountain Audio Festival.   Looking through the program, there was no mention of LH Labs.  No surprise.   But, asking representatives from several manufacturers about LH Labs, they were all familiar with the crowd funding fiasco.   Lots of products launched but never realized at the contributors end, too much enthusiasm and not enough business acumen on the manufacturers end (Larry Ho).  A lot of people in the business squirmed when LH Labs was mentioned. Several outright disapproved of the use of crowd sharing for products in their infant stage.   I contributed to many LH Labs campaigns to include the VI DAC tube, two M200 monoblock amplifiers, a Source music server, an 8 outlet linear power supply, and pretty much all of the bells and whistles/upgrades that were available.  Do I think that I will EVER see any of these products?  Not a chance.   And, even if I did, many of the products would now be considered legacy.  Why am I submitting this post?  Because I’m encouraging the community to just let go.   You are never going to see any of the products that you paid for.   Accept it and move on.  

another month and the "old factory" or "new factory"  hasn't delivered any chassis for the waiting components to be installed into? 

Can LH Labs post some form of response? It's unbelievable. I originally put down money in Dec 2013.  Caveat Emptor I guess. Ditch the sham and just tell us the truth Larry. 

S

I doubt that we will ever see any of the product for which we are waiting. My dealings with Larry have been quite civil in the past and they were quick to repair my two Pulse DACs that had to go back when their USB cards died.  Although well-intentioned, they overextended themselves and are probably living hand-to-mouth right now, if at all (anyone in Roseville, Ca. care to take a drive by their shop and report back?).  I'd suggest a class-action lawsuit against LH Labs and Indiegogo but I doubt if any California-based attorney would be willing to take it on.  That's probably the only hope we have of ever getting any satisfaction from this debacle.  I agree with Robert who posted a month ago, we aren't going to see any product and I think that LH Labs will certainly fade into history as another Icarus-like misadventure.  Caveat emptor indeed!

Answer

I posted this 2 months ago but it apparently didn't go through so I am posting again...

I think that is going to be hard to do Robert. Consider the following taken directly off Indiegogo:

Funds collected

Campaign                         Backers               when campaign closed                 % Funded

Geek Wave:                     ~9600                  $1,665,254                                     3478% on July 13, 2014

Geek Wave #2:                ~800                    $190,000                                         148% of $128,000

Geek Pulse DAC:             ~13,400              $3,001,353                                     3089% on Dec 28, 2013

Geek Pulse #2:                 ~550                    $103,527                                         20705% of $500 fixed goal

Pulse Analog:                   ~260                    $93,966                                           1649% on Oct 1, 2015

Vi DAC:                              ~1150                  $283,406                                        2852% on March 16, 2015

Total Reported funds contributed: $5,629,225

These numbers may not reflect all of the perks, direct invoices, etc. which may have taken place after the campaigns closed. Even with overlap, that’s 20,000+ backers from all over the world. I have a hard time believing that ~20k backers contributing ~5.6M are going to let all this just go. 

I agree with you about these products becoming “legacy”. I am fortunate in that I have the ability to move on (and I have, substituting new products which I have purchased to take the place of these “potential products” which may or may not ever show up). But while you and I may be able to tap out and take the loss as a poor investment opportunity, hard to imagine that many others will feel the same…again, nor should they.

I think if the communication were better and consisted of something other than teases like the September 5, 2018 update (noted above by John Siegel):

“We have the new Vi chassis design ready…we will post the photo of the new chassis once we receive it. It should be in three weeks.”

Promise unkept. Rather than update again on Sept 26 letting people know what’s happening, nothing happens.

In the last year regarding just Vi DAC, there have been 7 updates, and many updates address the chassis or Mr. Ho’s world travels. All tease, no meat, irregularly irregular positive reinforcement (the most addictive kind, just like gambling). When you click on the campaign Facebook links for Mr. Ho, you get https://www.facebook.com/app_scoped_user_id/660315531/ which no longer exists. Same for https://www.facebook.com/app_scoped_user_id/110875392609110/ . There is a twitter (https://twitter.com/geekbylhlabs) who’s last meaningful post was from Feb of 2017. Talk about a ruined reputation. 

(note: extra part deleted for encouragement of harassment towards journalists and LHL employees and associates)

(second note: second deletion. discussion of legal action towards LHL is not permitted on this site)

Unfortunately, the perked monies are all gone so, the only possibility of the backers ever getting their products is for LH to sell new product. I've already written it off as a loss but don't have the funds the replace the loss and I bet there many backers in the same position. The lure of having so much money available coupled with the inability of the company to properly manage it have led to this debacle.
Login or Signup to post a comment