Start a new topic
Answered

Vi DAC Chatter

Hi everyone, this is the first thread for the Vi DAC. Please post thoughts, comments, questions, screenshots, etc. in here. We will be attending to these forums now instead of the IGG pages due to ease of use for both LHL and backers. 

Same rules as before: professional-esque discussion over the campaign and LHL is welcome. Personal attacks will not be tolerated and will be deleted. Profanity: try to keep it PG, please. 

There is no "quote" function on the forum but I am working with Freshdesk support to see if there is a workaround. But this will be infinitely better than the old system at IGG where there was no ability to edit posts, a character count, no way to post screens, etc. 

We look forward to hearing from you around the forums! 

- Jarek

Best Answer

I posted this 2 months ago but it apparently didn't go through so I am posting again...

I think that is going to be hard to do Robert. Consider the following taken directly off Indiegogo:

Funds collected

Campaign                         Backers               when campaign closed                 % Funded

Geek Wave:                     ~9600                  $1,665,254                                     3478% on July 13, 2014

Geek Wave #2:                ~800                    $190,000                                         148% of $128,000

Geek Pulse DAC:             ~13,400              $3,001,353                                     3089% on Dec 28, 2013

Geek Pulse #2:                 ~550                    $103,527                                         20705% of $500 fixed goal

Pulse Analog:                   ~260                    $93,966                                           1649% on Oct 1, 2015

Vi DAC:                              ~1150                  $283,406                                        2852% on March 16, 2015

Total Reported funds contributed: $5,629,225

These numbers may not reflect all of the perks, direct invoices, etc. which may have taken place after the campaigns closed. Even with overlap, that’s 20,000+ backers from all over the world. I have a hard time believing that ~20k backers contributing ~5.6M are going to let all this just go. 

I agree with you about these products becoming “legacy”. I am fortunate in that I have the ability to move on (and I have, substituting new products which I have purchased to take the place of these “potential products” which may or may not ever show up). But while you and I may be able to tap out and take the loss as a poor investment opportunity, hard to imagine that many others will feel the same…again, nor should they.

I think if the communication were better and consisted of something other than teases like the September 5, 2018 update (noted above by John Siegel):

“We have the new Vi chassis design ready…we will post the photo of the new chassis once we receive it. It should be in three weeks.”

Promise unkept. Rather than update again on Sept 26 letting people know what’s happening, nothing happens.

In the last year regarding just Vi DAC, there have been 7 updates, and many updates address the chassis or Mr. Ho’s world travels. All tease, no meat, irregularly irregular positive reinforcement (the most addictive kind, just like gambling). When you click on the campaign Facebook links for Mr. Ho, you get https://www.facebook.com/app_scoped_user_id/660315531/ which no longer exists. Same for https://www.facebook.com/app_scoped_user_id/110875392609110/ . There is a twitter (https://twitter.com/geekbylhlabs) who’s last meaningful post was from Feb of 2017. Talk about a ruined reputation. 

(note: extra part deleted for encouragement of harassment towards journalists and LHL employees and associates)

(second note: second deletion. discussion of legal action towards LHL is not permitted on this site)

@Frederick who was manning the booth and why was there no music source? On another note, Larry wasn't there super long at the show. He had just left before you arrived. He stayed in Japan for 48 hours and caught a flight to Beijing for a Tesla Audio meeting with an electric car manufacturer. 

EDIT: The Source that had the music on it was taken by Larry, and I guess the vendor didn't have any music readily available to play. 

On a side note, Larry said two attendees cried when they heard the Asteria and told him it was the best sound they had ever heard (in an IEM, I imagine). 

Were any prices listed for the Asteria? Did you get any shots of the pamphlet? 

Here are some shots I got from Larry today from the show. 

@ Jarek, no prices listed on the Asteria. I did grab a pamphlet from the person at the booth. I didn’t get his name however. The pamphlet is is Japanese but I can scan when I get home which will make it easier to translate with Google Translate.

@ Frederick thanks! 

Thanks for the pictures and short review.

Can you tell us what was your impressions of the set?

Sound qualiy of the Vi DACs and how the Source behave?

Many thanks

The Source cream seemed largely unresponsive but that could have been because there was no music loaded. Screen resolution wasn’t great. Unfortunately, this was one of the few times I didn’t travel to Akihabara without my laptop and USB cable so I couldn’t listen to either of the Vi Signature versions. I don’t understand why you would leave the Source there with 2 DACs and no means to play any music. Basically you have a guy there with 2 pair of Asteria IEMs, some impressive looking gear and no means to listen to anything other through whatever potable music device you brought. Now I don’t want to sound like a conspiracy nut but the pick with Larry that Jarek uploaded has the Blue Source with a track loaded on the screen. Why remove that track and presumably other tracks? Why would Larry depart early at essentially beginning of day 2 of a day audio festival? I arrived in tha room at around 1:15pm. The festival started at 11:00am.
Pic of the SSD(left top side of chassis)
Thanks Frederick it looks as though your trip has only created more questions and really answered non. Thanks for your good work.
Sorry it wasn’t more fruitful. I was hoping the trip would result in more ground truth.

I asked Larry why the vendor would be showing our gear to presumably sell with no way to demonstrate it. He didn't know about the situation since it happened after he left. That's extremely perplexing. How many people were at the booth when you were there? Did you speak to the vendor at all? 

I spoke to a lady that he (the vendor) brought over to help facilitate the conversation. The conversation was short and strained as my Japanese isn’t that good and I didn’t see a lot of point in fighting through the language barrier to discuss LH Labs stuff with someone who wasn’t Larry and with equipment that I couldn’t listen or interface with. He (the vendor) kept highlighting that I couldn’t listen to the Vi Tube because the Source has no files on it. The Vi SS was hooked up to the Source via USB but that was useless. There was a younger gentleman occupying the seat infront of the Vi SS using his own portable audio player. Probably listening to the Asteria but I didn’t look closely at his ears. Asteria pamphlet attached by the way.

Thanks for uploading that. If someone can do a translate on that, it'd be great. I do think the Asteria is pretty sharp looking. That's extremely odd that he would bring a Source and have zero way of playing it. I'll mention it to Larry again. 

@Frederick I'm a little confused. So the Vi Tube wasn't hooked up to anything? And the Vi SS was hooked up to a Source but the Source couldn't be used. Was the visitor at the booth listening to his own portable player with Asteria with no involvement from the Vi Tube?

@Jarek, that pretty much nails it. What I know: 1. Source had no music files, 2. Vi Tube had no connections other than power in and an IEM, 3. Source had 2 Acoustic Revive USB cables plugged in (one in, one out), 3. Vi SS had power and an Acoustic Revive USB cable plugged in, 4. The other chair occupant was listening to his own portable device, 5. Neither of the Vi’s or Source were being utilized. ||| What I assume: 1. The Source output Acoustic Revive USB was plugged into the the Vi SS, 2. The other seat occupant was listening to the Asteria. ||| Pure guess: 1. The unaccounted for input Acoustic Revive USB input for the Source was connected to an external HD (this last bit just came to me this morning). That would explain the lack of music on the Source. No explanation on why they would leave the booth with nothing though.
Frederick I guess people are asking these odd questions because what was going on made no sense. Also like I say just made more questions?
Jarek how is the update coming?
Login or Signup to post a comment