Start a new topic
Answered

Source Chatter

Hi everyone, this is the first thread for the Geek Source. Please post thoughts, comments, questions, screenshots, etc. in here. We will be attending to these forums now instead of the IGG pages due to ease of use for both LHL and backers. 

Same rules as before: professional-esque discussion over the campaign and LHL is welcome. Personal attacks will not be tolerated and will be deleted. Profanity: try to keep it PG, please. 

There is no "quote" function on the forum but I am working with Freshdesk support to see if there is a workaround. But this will be infinitely better than the old system at IGG where there was no ability to edit posts, a character count, no way to post screens, etc. 

We look forward to hearing from you around the forums! 

- Jarek

Best Answer

Full pics of the Source. There are some screws missing and since I know certain people will ask if the screws will be missing when they receive that unit, no, your units will ship with all screws included. 

The gold feet got a very bad response, so they switched to shorter silver feet which were not installed for the picture. 

Also, note this the SE version, so the regular units won't have the red color, LH logo or diamond shape on the sides. 

Source 1.jpg
(39.7 KB)
Source 2.jpg
(46.4 KB)
Source 3.jpg
(46.1 KB)
Source 4.jpg
(43.9 KB)
source 5.jpg
(1.84 MB)
source 6.jpg
(1.83 MB)
source 7.jpg
(1.79 MB)

What's the latest on shipment of the non-SE units?

I have no updates yet. The SE units are still being worked on. When I have more information on them, I'll make an announcement. 

Hello Jarek,

How many SE units have been completed and how many were shipped out in the last few weeks? Is there no time frame at all about the regular Sources?

The Source instruction manual has been officially posted here: https://support.lhlabs.com/solution/articles/13000047377-source-instruction-manual-

OR you can use this link to directly open the PDF: https://bit.ly/2EoCNzS

@Chris I have no information over the Source units at this time. Some are being assembled in the States; some are being assembled overseas. I'm unsure if any from overseas have shipped, because it appears the Asian builders are NOT tied directly into BigCommerce. That means I can't accurately see if anything shipped or didn't ship, because it's simply not updated on my end. I'm working to find a solution and I'll let everyone know when I have something. At this time, it doesn't look like any have shipped from the Roseville office. It appears for this initial batch, most of the units will come from overseas. 

No mention of promised Roon support in the manual. Also, in my case using a dCS Network Bridge, I don’t see any means for specifying Source output as Ethernet. Looks as though the documentation is in a pre-beta state, or we all bought a “pig in a poke” as many have feared.

I thought all the boards were sitting in racks back in november and there was a problem with disks, then problem with chassis, then problem with software.  now they are being made overseas?

how come the problems keep coming and there is no information until the deadline has passed.

Projected SE Shipping Timeframe - 10/19/17

Modified on: Fri, 20 Oct, 2017 at 12:08 AM

Important News: We fully expect to ship out the Source SE within the next 20 days and we will post pictures when they ship. 

Items done/finalized: 

1. Spinning Drive - Toshiba 5TB Mechanical Hard Drive 

2. SSD - Samsung 850

3. Packaging materials

Still in Process: 

1. Roon Firmware

2. iOS Remote Control Software

Larry and the team are very excited to ship this out after finalization. The minute I have more information on shipments, I'll be posting that for everyone. 

1 person likes this

They just make it up as they go along. 

Opened a ticket on this as well.  I've asked about this over the years since announced.  Never got the impression Roon support had been unannounced/removed as a feature.  And since it was promised at the birth of the Source, I'd find it quite damning if it was not in the hardware release of the product.

@Steve Roon support is coming, but it won't be included straight away. It will be implemented though. That will come via update. 

"I don’t see any means for specifying Source output as Ethernet."

Ethernet is only used as input on the Source. Or did you mean to type "input" and not "output"? 

I wouldn’t have paid for the Source if Roon was not shipping with the product right out of the gate. I have waited far too long for this. I’ll just use a Roon R.O.C.K. based server, and find a “home” for the Source elsewhere — whenever I finally get it.
Merging NADAC is Ethernet enable DAc using AES67 AoIP protocol for Audio over Ethernet. If Source have powerful SOM inside, should able to run Linux Roon Bridge without any problem
Roon's architecture is based around using a wired Ethernet connection from the Roon Core (as promised for the Geek Source) to other devices for playing music.  The Core may or may not physically house the actual music files.  The core runs on either a Mac/PC/Linux/NAS with local or remote access to actual music files.  The "client" supports the RAAT protocol for actual playback.  Management of the Roon library can be done on Mac/Windows/IOS/Android systems/devices.  So, the notion that the Source would not support Ethernet both for input and output would violate the design/architecture of Roon, and thereby be an unsupported platform.  As for support of AES 67 / RAVENNA I was under the distinct impression from Gavin (long gone) in late 2015 that this was not in spec for Source.  'Course this product has been such a moving target, who knows?  And I'm unclear if this technology would obviate the need for Ethernet outbound or not.

Login or Signup to post a comment