Start a new topic

What is your source for your VI DAC?

I just received my VI DAC and now need to contemplate a source device.  I don't want to use my desktop (in a different room) and I don't have a personal notebook computer.  I've thought about a quiet NAS unit. 

What are you using and what is the best source?

What VI DAC input is best?

I am using both a SOTM SMS-1000u server through the USB input and a Squeezebox Touch through the coax. I have a W4S Remedy on the coax side and a W4S Recovery on the USB input. Since they are two very different devices, I can't assess the relative quality of the inputs, but I don't think the Touch ever has sounded better - and this is the fourth DAC through which I have played it.

Thanks Mike, I'll check out the SOTM SMS-1000u.

Anyone else have recommendations?

mac mini, jriver, remote is good

I stated:  "I don't want to use my desktop (in a different room) and I don't have a personal notebook computer."  Therefore, NO computer contemplated.

Anyone?  I need suggestions, please.

A recent trend is rpi3 running volumio2 or rune audio with a hifiberry digi+ and coax. And for storage a USB attached hard drive or nas. You were kind of a jerk last time I gave you a suggestion :p
James, it's too easy to call names on the net.  I indicated no computer and thought you "kind of a jerk" for posting "mac mini" as if to say "I don't care that you don't want to use a computer, it's what I use".  Thank you for the new good suggestion, however - I'll dig into it.  On another forum, someone suggested a HAL MS-3 PC Music Server and someone else suggested:  "I think the upcoming Sonore microRendu ($640, without power supply) looks to be very, very promising and I'm betting (hoping) it will knock it out of the park from a value proposition."

I found that an intona between the raspberry pi 2 and my pulse infinity makes up for all sins of the pi.  Whole set up is ~$300 and is headless so it works in more environments.

Thanks Hunter, I've seen some pi info on Audio Circle and will look into this "intona".

Login or Signup to post a comment